Spring is in the air here in Mankato area and that means vacation plans are around the corner. While you’re figuring out what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what stays behind, your home. The Northern Comfort Inc team has some helpful advice that will assist in keeping your home secure and help save some money on your utility bills while you go on a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are an inexpensive way to make your home seem as though someone is home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a smart idea to program your lights to coincide with your regular schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a reliable friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater comfort than a text while you’re away letting you know that everything at home is perfect.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to tell you not to share photos of your amazing vacation on social media, but try to hold off until after you make it home to post information about your trip. Family and friends presumably already know you’re leaving so there’s no need in letting potential criminals know your itinerary. Everyone will be just as excited about the wonderful things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it as simple as ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical item is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. An easy way to save some energy while you’re away is to unplug a few of your electronics. Something that you may overlook unplugging is your garage door. It will conserve energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re on vacation there’s no sense keeping your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your comfort level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some painless tips to add to your spring break prep list, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about safeguarding your home this season or want to discuss additional energy saving tips, give Northern Comfort Inc in Mankato area a call at 507-387-6596.