Living in coolness in the summer can be taken for granted, particularly until you feel a taste of uneasiness with an air conditioner malfunction. It can occur at the worst moments; you’re eating lunch and suddenly recognize how warm your kitchen feels or you can’t fall asleep at night because you are so toasty bound in your covers. Think you’re feeling this discomfort? It might be time for an air conditioner replacement.
More often than not, it isn’t the thermostat’s error; the settings can be working correctly, but it still says that the temperature is above 80 degrees. It’s most often caused by an old or faulty air conditioner that needs a call to the professionals to find out what’s wrong. There are many explanations why air conditioners fail, especially taking into consideration the weather in Mankato area. Here are a few things that you can search for before you call Northern Comfort Inc if you think your air conditioner has stopped working:
- Broken outdoor fan motor: There is a fan motor on your external air conditioning system that helps move the heat from your home to the outdoors. If you examine your system and find that the fan isn’t running, it means that the heat relocation isn’t occurring, causing the warm air to remain in your home. This problem can also cause overheating of the compressor and other potential internal destruction to your system.
- Dirty filters: It’s one of the most common issues that Northern Comfort Inc sees. These dirty filters in your air conditioner decrease suitable airflow, affecting the air quality in your home, which is really problematic when allergy season hits. Dirty air filters can also decrease the efficiency in your home and increase your monthly energy costs.
- Blocked air flow: Always check for an barrier or jam in your return-air or supply-air grille. This can set off your air conditioner to lose efficiency and decelerate.
TIP: Make sure the grilles aren’t concealed by furniture or other home items, as well.
- Outside obstructions: Proper air flow could be also slowed down from outdoor blockages close to your system, such as shrubbery, trees, lawn chairs, etc. When the air flow is altered, it can affect it’s cooling capacities. Make sure that your system is uninhibited by obstacles and is cleaned routinely to reduce the chance of air conditioner replacement.
Once you’ve completed these four system checks and your air conditioner still isn’t working, here are a list of questions and steps that you should look into and answer to get your system up and working again. (Only move on to the next question if the system doesn’t start after doing the step before it):
- Is your thermostat temperature fixed below the indoor temperature?
- Is your system switch in the COOL setting?
- Is the outdoor unit power supply switch ON?
- Is the furnace/air handler power supply ON?
- Is your house fuse box/breaker box intact or has it blown a fuse or tripped a circuit breaker?
- If none of these things alter your system operation, call Northern Comfort Inc at 507-387-6596.
Don’t let an air conditioner breakdown or replacement keep you awake at night. If you follow these tips and keep your system under annual maintenance, you should have you air conditioner operating again in no time. Our team at Northern Comfort Inc in Mankato area is always here to assist – give us a call at 507-387-6596.