According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts should be cleaned at least once every three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the lifetime of your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence the amount of time between cleanings. How can you see if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some signs that you should keep in mind.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are fully opened, do any have weaker airflow than others?
2. Can you hear noise other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
3. Is there an obstruction in your cold air return vent?
4. When you peek inside with a flashlight, do you see a buildup of debris or pet fur?
5. Have bugs or rodents created a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns layered with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers blowing out dust?
If you said “yes” to any of these questions, it might be time to contact Northern Comfort Inc in Mankato area about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are actions you can take to protect your ducts and extend the time between professional cleanings.
Most importantly, schedule consistent HVAC maintenance with the experts at Northern Comfort Inc. A yearly inspection of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system running at peak performance. Inspecting your system regularly and replacing the air filter when necessary will also help keep your ducts clear.
Other ways you can help maintain your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let dirt in from areas such as your attic.
• Check your air filters often and change them when necessary.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your rooms.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in poor or damp condition.
Keeping your ducts clean will help you make sure the air in your Mankato area home is clean. Be sure to use these preventative steps and schedule a professional duct cleaning regularly. Call the experts at Northern Comfort Inc at 507-387-6596 or schedule an appointment online.