The colder temperatures in winter usually manifest as high heating bills. Does anyone know of ways to keep your home warm without raising your energy cost so much? Yes! Northern Comfort Inc has some advice for you to help keep your home comfortable and your heating bills lower.
Use these tips to help increase your energy efficiency and trim down your heating bills this winter:
- Take advantage of sunny days in Mankato area to help heat your home naturally. Pull back the curtains and open the blinds and allow the sun to give your furnace a little [[help|boost|break]14.
- Keep the cold air from sneaking in. Seal your windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- The more you can control the temperature in your home, the more you can control your energy usage. A programmable thermostat will get the job done and enhance your home’s energy efficiency.
- Clogged, dirty furnace filters make your furnace work overtime and lower your energy efficiency. Clean or replace them every three months.
- Do a quick inspection of your home. Are any vents or cold air returns covered? Make sure they’re clear for better airflow and efficiency.
- If your furnace is more than 15 years old, start shopping for a new energy-efficient model. This could save you the cost of emergency repairs and will help you save on your energy bills for years to come.
- Heat rises. Don’t let your heat rise so far and sneak out through the attic. Ensure your attic is well insulated to keep warm air where you need it.
- It’s a little-known fact, but heat can escape through your roof. Check it for loose or missing shingles and holes or areas that need to be sealed.
It may seem like managing your home’s energy efficiency is a lot of work, but with these tips, it should be a little easier. If you’re looking for more ways to increase your home’s energy efficiency, give us a call at 507-387-6596. We’ll help you keep your home comfortable throughout the year, even in the harshest Mankato area weather.